The West Indian Manatee
5 Facts on the West Indian Manatee
1. The Set Indian Manatee is found in coastal and inland waters, around the East Coasts of the US, Mexico and the Caribbean.
2. It has a large paddle-like tail used for propulsion.
3. They feed on 60 species of aquatic plants in both salt and fresh water.
4. They weigh 1,500 pounds and are up to 4.3 metres in length.
5. They are part of the Sirenia order, which contains manatees and dugongs. The closest relative of the Sirenia Order is the elephant.